12.5.15

Reflection: My development as a student

Since starting my Public Relations and Communications degree at Leeds Beckett University, I have gained an understanding of PR as an industry, how it is ever-changing and the power it holds within companies and organisations. Through my theoretical knowledge and work experience placements, I feel I have acquired a passion for PR, not only as a degree but also a career. The more I learn, through my practical work or academic studies, the more I can be assured that PR is one of the most exciting and fast-paced industries to be involved, in which I feel enthused for opportunities in the future.
Within my degree I have studied a range of modules about public relations, from the history and trends of PR, to digital media, to my involvement with global projects such as Communication Campaigns. This has enabled me to gain a wider knowledge about roles surrounding the public relations industry, including marketing, HR, economics and finance. These modules have given me an insight into the various careers paths relating to the industry, but also the importance of having an understanding of them to build a successful career in PR. Throughout my degree, I have been lucky enough to have the opportunity to attend a range of guest lectures such as the president of CIPR, Stephen Waddington to Verity Clark, social media enthusiast and account director at Approach PR. These guest lectures, alongside seminars and weekly lectures from professionals in the field including Chris Norton and Richard Bailey, has given me an insight into how real-time PR operates on a daily basis and has shown me the success working in PR can bring.
I have had a variety of work experience placements from agency work at Beattie Communications and Kindred Agency, to my in-house experience on the Panasonic European PR team. I feel that I have been able to gain an understanding of both in-house and agency work, which has allowed me to experience B2B for a global company and B2C for a wide range of clients, furthering my knowledge of the industry.
I have recently secured a position as a freelance writer for Student Wire, one of the UK’s top online student magazines, which has over 40 thousand twitter followers. During this role, I have been able to write articles for the magazine in which I have focused on health, fitness and lifestyle. This has been a great opportunity for me because it has allowed to further my independent creative writing skills but also work as an integral part of the team.
This year I have been applying for a year placement and have attended different interviews and assessment centres, from this experience and placements I have undertaken I feel that the PR skills has been the most helpful, as it has taught me
I have been offered to do my placement year as a PR intern for Disney, which is an amazing opportunity. I am very excited to learn about working within the entertainment industry and gaining an insight into the inner workings of the company as a global brand. Disney is a company I’m extremely excited to work for because it has had an impact on me since my younger years, and the idea of being surrounded by all things Disney enthuses me. I’m also very excited to move to London.
I am slightly unsure of my future career ambitions, however I wish to gain as much valuable experience and knowledge as possible in a range of different sectors in order to know exactly which area of public relations I would like to pursue in the future, and hope to meet various influential professionals a long the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment